Pages

November 7, 2012

Chestnut flour - apple pancakes with caramelised chestnuts

What a cold, foggy and dampy autumn weather, actually just the way it should be in November! So after the morning walk with the dog I felt that I need a treat to boost a little my mood. I had some apple pancakes on mind sprinkled with loads of cinnamon sugar, the way it should be. But then I spotted the bag of chestnut flour on the counter and I decided to use it for the pancake batter. That gave me the impulse to serve it with some caramlised chestnuts and as I had no syrup in the pantry I made a quick caramel sauce.


Ingredients:

for the pancakes:
150 g chestnut flour
50 g buckwheat flour
1 egg

1 apple
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
250-300 ml milk

for the caramel sauce:
50 g sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon butter

6-7 tablespoons cream
for the chestnuts:
20 roasted chestnuts
3 tablespoons cane sugar
1 teaspoon butter
2 tablespoons apple juice


For the pancake sift together the chestnut and the buckwheat flour, then whisk in the egg, the grated apple, melted butter and milk and whisk until it turns into a smooth batter. At the end stir in the cinnamon and the vanilla extract. I think there is no need to add any sugar, after all it is going to be served with caramel sauce. Bake the pancakes over medium heat. For the sauce melt sugar with water over low heat and as soon as it caramelise add butter and cream and cook for 4-5 minutes. For the chestnuts melt cane sugar and when it gets golden brown add the chestnuts, butter and the apple juice and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until reduced.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A luscious treat! Delightfully autumnal.

Cheers,

Rosa

Related Posts with Thumbnails