Pages

January 27, 2012

Saucisson with leek-bacon "dumpling", Sauerkraut sauce and white cabbage purée

In the Romandie, the french speaking part of Switzerland saucisson is a very popular cold smoked sausage that is usually made of pork. The so called Longeole is originated in Canton Geneva, while Canton Vaud is famous for the Boutefas and the Saucisson vaudois. I must confess that altough I love the smell of these sausages I am not really a fan, but once in a while they are welcome on our table. Today's lunch was inspried by dish from Canton Vaud, the so called Papet Vaudois that is kind of a leek-potato stew made with white wine and served with saucisson. Yesterday, I discovered a delicious potato dish in this blog and I felt immediately, that I must make them. I only have changed the filling that is inpsired by the traditional Papet Vaudois. The idea of the Sauerkraut sauce is already since quite a while on my mind and actually I planned it to be served among fish, but the smoky sausage just was screaming for it! Then I suddenly thought, why shouldn't I use cabbage in some different way in this dish. That's how I had the idea of white cabbage puree. Simply sautee sliced white cabbage in butter and caramelise with sugar, cook in a little stock, puree with cream and to give a tiny kick season with smoked salt. Roll in blanched savoy cabbage and warm it in brown butter right before serving. That's it!



Ingredients:

250 g potato (slightly floury, yellow)
50 g flour
1 tablespoon potato starch
1 egg yolk
salt, nutmeg
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon olive oil
1 leek
50 g bacon
1/4 teaspoon majoram
50 ml white wine
salt, pepper


Mash or grate the cold, cooked potatoes, then add flour, starch, egg yolk season with salt and nutmeg and knead a dough. For the filling fry thinly sliced bacon in butter-oil mixture, add finely sliced leek and sautee. Add majoram, white wine and cook it until the wine is absorbed. Season aith salt and pepper. Roll out the potato dough and put some spoons of  the filling in a row, fold it and slice. Fry in clarfied butter from both sides until golden brown. Put it into the preheated oven for another 15-20 minutes on 80-100ºC.


70 ml veal stock
70 ml Sauerkraut juice
1 shallot
2 juniper berries
50-70 g cold butter
salt, pepper

Bring veal stock, Sauerkraut juice togther with the chopped shallot and the juniper berries to the boil and reduce over low heat by two thirds. Sieve, add diced cold butter and whisk it up with an electric mixer. Season and if necesarry keep it warm in a bain marie.


5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love your way of preparing saucisson! That is one of my favorite foods.

Cheers,

Rosa

Alex [Chef Hansen] said...

Wow, very nice adaptation of the recipe - I like the pictures a lot!

chriesi said...

@Rosa: I am glad you like it! :)

@Alex: Thanks for the inspiration and the great recipe!

Lori Lynn said...

Looks fabulous. Love the sauerkraut sauce.
LL

chriesi said...

Thank you! I am glad you like it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails