Pages

January 13, 2012

Revised Fish & Chips

Well, honestly, I do not even know where to start! But maybe I just should start right at the begining. Yesterday, I was thinking about making a sauce using purple or blue potatoes, how cool would that be?! While wondering about it, slowly the sauce turned into a foam. What about the rest? Of course it had to be fish once more and then the foam seemed to be just perfect after all it reminds one of the sea. While thinking about the details of the foam, I reminded about that roasted potato peel consommé from last year, and so it was clear that this must be the base of the foam. However it was pretty challenging to keep that purple colour! During my first trial, when I cooked to potatoes into the stock it has just turned somewhat brownish, so that was not the solution for a bright purple colour. I have almost given it up, when I had the sudden idea to simply grate some raw potato into the sauce and so there I've got my bright purple colour. However even then you have to serve it fast, because it turns pretty soon brownish. So chips part: done! Or not?! Well, depends how you look at it. In this amuse bouche the fish turned into chips. That's pretty easy to make, you simply have to flatten the sliced fillet between a foil covered with rice flour and then just deep fry it, season and there you go! But there was something missing! Of course you need some kind of pickles to be served with it and there I've found the great idea of the fried capers in Vera's blog. Instead a remoulade or a tartar sauce I decided to make a sorrel mayonnaise, though I used my blood sorrel, but I would not recommand that, because it is not acidy enough, so wait rather for the real one when it is in season.





Ingredients:
7 small purple potatoes
200 ml veal stock
1/4 twig majoram
1 shallot
1 teaspoon butter
2 tablespoons cream
salt, pepper



Bake 6 of the potatoes in the preheated oven. Sautee chopped onion in butter, then add 100 ml stock and reduce by half. Peel baked potatoes, you will not need the flesh of it, but do not throw it away, cook a soup or make a puree the next day. Bring the other portion of stock together with the oven roasted potato peel and the majoram to the boil, then let it stand for 15-20 minutes, but remove the herb. Sieve both liquids, add cream, season and bring it to the boiling point, then remove it from the heat. Take the leftover raw potato and grate it into the sauce then mix it up and serve. FIsh chips inspired by pwf&w.

2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wonderful! You are so creative.

Cheers,

Rosa

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

this is so very creative!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails