Pages

January 12, 2012

Coconut flavoured Buckwheat "Risotto" on Gingery Carrot Puree with Coriander Oil

Sometimes it has to be vegetable, no meat, no fish, just veggies. Of course nothing can beat a juicy steak, but there are times when I can not even think of meat or even eggs. I anyway care very much about what type of meat I buy, therefore I rather buy less, but then at least I  know it is good quality and the animal had a worthy life. Lately, I am pretty fond of buckwheat, in fact I am kind of in love with the flour. While I was wondering what kind of vegeterian dish I could prepare using buckwheat, I decided that I am not going to use any animal product. I had the idea of making a buckwheat risotto, but oops! I have just knocked out butter and parmesan, so what? Suddenly, the solution came on my mind: coconut milk! Yep, this will make it really creamy and risotto like. Carrots and ginger work great together and also prefect with coconut and so the dish was born! The freshly made coriander oil just brought the dish right there, where I wanted it to be.




Ingredients:

150 g buckwheat
1 shallot
1 teaspoon olive oil
50 ml white wine
500 ml vegetable stock
70 ml coconut milk
100 g carrot

1 teaspoon peanut oil
50 ml vegetable stock
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 slice ginger
50 ml olive oil
1 bunch of fresh coriander
salt, pepper



Heat olive oil, add finely grated shallot, sautee, then sweat it for a few more mintues together with the buckwheat. In another pot bring vegetable stock to simmer. Pour wine over the buckwheat and let it reduce. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add some stock and let it cook over medium heat, while stirring, as soon as it has absorbed add another portion of stock and repeat it until the buckwheat is almost cooked through. Add coconut milk and cook it for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.  Caramelise diced carrot in sugar, pour stock over it and cook it over medium heat together with the coriander seeds and ginger until soft, then remove the spices and puree. Season with salt, pepper and add some peanut oil to make it more creamy. Heat olive oil to 120°C, add coriander leaves, remove it from the heat and let it stand covered until it is cool. Puree, sieve and serve it with the buckwheat "risotto".


1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A toothsome combination! Great idea.

Cheers,

Rosa

Related Posts with Thumbnails