Pages

January 26, 2012

Blood Orange-Beetroot Tart

It wasn't that easy to get back to the kitchen, as I expected. Somehow those few days, when I had the opportunity to relax and enjoy the food that is cooked by someone else, I pretty much got used it. Although I also baked two chocolate mousse cakes, but still, nothing can beat mom's paprikás csirke. Anyway, the original plan was to bake a simple lemon tart, so to say to warm up and get back to the routine, but then I ended up making this beetroot-blood orange version. I have been ever so curious about Heston Blumenthal's pastry, so it was the perfect opportunity to try it. The filling is also based on his recipe, but I must confess, that I already have some new plans with it. So stay tuned for a pretty exciting dessert to come. As far as the pastry is concerned, well it is gorgeous! Already while working the raw pastry, I felt that this is going to be something amazingly good. If you want that the tart has a more intense orange flavour, then use normal oranges instead of blood.




Ingredients:
200 ml blood orange juice
50 ml beet juice
240 g sugar
300 ml cream
1/2 vanilla pod
6 eggs
1 egg yolk



The recipe for the pastry you find here. Preheat the oven to 120ºC and place the baked tart shell onto a sheet. Put the ingredients of the filling into a heatproof bowl, mix it together and leave it over a bain marie until it reaches 60ºC. Now pour it over a sieve, remove any bubbles and pour it into the preheated tart shell. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it has reached 70ºC. Let it cool, then trim the overhanging pastry. Serve with blood orange fillets and coarsly chopped pistachios.
 


2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

sometimes it is good to relax and do nothing... I must say that at the moment I am feeling quite lazy (maybe it's the weather).

A fabulous tart and combination! The blood orange picture is awesome.

Cheers,

Rosa

chriesi said...

yeah you are right! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails