Pages

November 18, 2011

Coconut milk rice with beetroot syrup, orange and pomegranate seeds

Well, actually I am not a milk rice fan at all, if it comes to such kind of treats I prefer semolina cooked in milk with loads of cinnamon sugar on top, though I must say that porridge is also a great alternative. Yesterday afternoon while cleaning I was listened to a Jamie Oliver cooking show, where he served milk rice with fruits and crispy almonds. I loved the idea of the almonds, and I had the immediate urge to try it. It is very simple and easy to make, drain some sliced almonds in water, sprinkle powder sugar on it and bake in the oven. Usually, visual amenities or the smell of something makes one to crave for it, however in this case I just could not resist the sound that the almonds made while shaked in the roasting tin. Later on the "milk rice mood" came over me, so I made a small portion with coconut milk and served it with beetroot syrup, oragen filets and pomegrante seeds.


 

Ingredients: 
100 g coconut milk
100 g milk
50 g short grain rice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon sugar


Bring coconut milk and milk to the boil, add rice and spices and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Whisk egg yolk with sugar until pale and stir it into the milk rice. Put it back to the turned off stove and stir for a minute or two. For the syrup melt about a tablespoon sugar, pour 50-70 ml beetroot juice over it, reduce until thick and stir in filets of an orange, season with some cardamom.





3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Divinely exotic and comforting!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

I'm going to make this rice for my "rice-obsessed" kids! (Can you tell we're Asians?) Sounds like a luscious rice dish! Can't wait! Thanks for the idea.

chriesi said...

I must confess that I am a total rice addict! :))) I hope your kids are going to enjoy it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails