Pages

February 2, 2011

Waiting for Spring

Probably, January and February are the hardest months if we look at the range of available seasonal vegetables. Well, okay, it is not that bad, after all there are many different types of root vegetabltes and cabbages available. However in the stores you find almost everything no matter if it is in season or not. Still, I think I will never be able to understand why, and I have even less understanding for those who consume vegetables and fruits when they have no season. After all there is a reason why vegetables have their season and why it is good for us to consume them then and not all year around or any time. Besides they taste best when they are in season and even better if you can buy local production.


Anyway, it is also great to see that more and more people care and consume seasonal products. Last time when I was at my greengrocer I had to as if the fennel is already in season?! Huh, that would haven been strange, but I did not think that far, because the huge assortment in the stores tend to confuse one once in a while. Of course it is not fennel season and those were from Italy. But rarely, very rarely I can not resist, just like the last time, when I bought artichokes. However I never buy asparagus, strawberries and other typical spring vegetables or tomatoes, paprika, zucchini, cucumber, cherries and so on when they are not in season. I must confess, that slowly I have had enough cabbage, beetroot and their friends, so please spring be here soon!


Probably, I have cooked the last portion of brussels today, in a form of a simple puree with some nutmeg. I served lamb among it that I hide in a slice of bread with a filling of lamb farce. The farce was flavoured with garlic, rosemary, red wine and pureed with cream. Simple, yet flavourful. I fried the meat before I packed in, then fried it again together with the bread and then left it in the oven on
140°C for 7-8 minutes, depending on the weight of the meat. I also served some carrots among it and a reduced lamb stock. That's it! And guess what, finally after many grey days the sun came out this afternoon.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails