Pages

January 21, 2011

Spaghetti alla Carbonara with a twist

The past few days have been pretty exhausting, and I do not even really know why. Anyway, therefore I wanted to surprise myself with one of my favourite pasta dish, the spaghetti carbonara. I decided to give it one or two tiny twists.


First of all I have made fresh pasta, because there is nothing better than that. Instead pancetta I used Parma ham. One very important part of this dish is the pepper, so I decided to use the special cubeb pepper instead of black pepper. This type of pepper is also called Java pepper as it grows in Java and Sumatra. It is very aromatic, a tiny bit bitter and of course hot.


It was just perfect together with the Parma ham and the 24 months old Parmesan cheese. But that was not the twist I want to write about. I served the pasta with in clarified butter poached quail egg yolks. There is nothing complicated about this, do not worry! Simply crack the eggs with a help of a knife and remove the egg whites. That is pretty easy, just let the egg white flow down between your fingers. Pour clarified butter into small ramequins and slowly glide the egg yolk into it. Place them into the to 65
°C preheated oven and leave them in there for 20-25 minutes. These were truly amazing together with the fresh pasta!


4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very yummy! Quail eggs are so delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Carbonara habe ich eben auch mit Kubebenpfeffer gemacht, aber die bessere Idee gewinnt. Das muss ich nachkochen.

Faith said...

I've been wanting to make poached egg yolks! You are my culinary hero -- I'm bookmarking this and will be making soon!!

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Indeed, quail eggs are great.

@lamicucina: Es freut mich, dass es Dir gefällt!

@Faith: Well, that is not the classic way to poach eggs, but certinaly a delicious one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails