Pages

January 19, 2011

Cream of Jerusalem Artichoke Soup

The Jerusalem artichoke, also called the sunroot, sunchoke or topinambur, is a species of sunflower. Lately, I've become a big fan of this root vegetable and luckily a nearby farm sells its own, so I have access to very fresh sunchokes throught the winter. Most of the time the fresh soil is still on it! I just love the smell of the fresh soil and frankly, you can not get any better vegetable than those with still the wet soil on the outside! But there is a problem with sunchokes, I just hate to peel them! That is such a tedious work. As today, I had no time and no nervs for that, I decided to bake them in the oven, hoping to make the peeling part easier. Considering the lack of time, I cooked a simple, yet flavour sunchoke soup served with roasted hazelnut.

Ingredients:
500 g jerusalem artichoke

250-300 ml vegetable or chicken stock
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 shallot
1 small garlic clove
1 bay leaf
2-3 tablespoons cream
1 tablespoon butter
nutmeg
salt, pepper

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Wrap the jerusalem artichokes in foil together with some olive oil and salt, then bake for an hour in the oven. Sautee chopped onion for a few minutes, add sliced garlic, bay leaf and the peeled jerusalem artichokes. Pour stock over it and cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and pour the soup into a mixer. Puree together with the cream and the butter. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Serve with roasted hazelnut and some hazelnut or olive oil.


3 comments:

Faith said...

Your soup looks great -- super creamy and luscious!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Gorgeous! I love this root veggie. So refined.

Cheers,

Rosa

mona said...

The soup looks delicious. I make it myself (my recipe is different though) and I never peel the Jerusalem artichokes. Just clean them thoroughly and boil them. I strain it through a fine sieve and press through all the veggies and the peel doesn't get through. It's so simple. However, I don't make this soup too often because some of my family members don't tolerate the inulin. It's healthy but it makes you very gassy. And I mean really badly gassy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails