Pages

November 5, 2010

Weekend Herb Blogging # 258 - Curly Kale

Until the end of the Middle Ages, kale was one of the most common green vegetables in all of Europe. Curly leafed varieties of cabbage already existed along with flat leafed varieties in Greece in the 4th century BC.


Kale is a form of cabbage green or purple, in which the c
entral leaves do not form a head. It is considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms. Kale is considered to be a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties; kale is considered to be anti-inflammatory. Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and reasonably rich in calcium. (source:wikipedia)



Last week, I had curly kale for the very first time in my kitchen. I like the normal kale very much, so it was not a surprise that this won't be different with the curly one. I
decided to preapre something rustic. A creamy polenta with dried tomatoes, sheep's milk cheese and roasted walnuts topped with kale chips.


Ingredients:

300 g curly kale
250 g polenta
1000 ml chicken or vegetable stock
handful of dried tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried majoram
1/4 teaspoon ground caraway
50 g butter
35-40 g sheep's milk cheese
roasted walnuts
olive oil
salt, pepper

Slice kale leaves but without the finning. Heat olive oil and sautee chopped garlic, spices, add kale and chopped dried tomatoes and cook for a few minutes over low heat. Add polenta and stock and cook it until the polenta is ready. Stir in butter, cheese and roasted walnuts. Season and serve.


I submit this post to the WHB created by Kalyn from Kalyn's Kitchen, who passed it on to
Haalo, of Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once, this time hosted by Cinzia from Cindystar.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great veggie! Yummy combo.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I just bought a huge head of kale and looking for great kale recipes. I love what you did with it here! :)

Cindystar said...

Noémi, you are tempting me so much with this polenta! ... and we were telepathic this week, I made polenta too!
I saw curly kale for the first time last March in London at Broadway Market,not yet seen it in Italy ... but I suppose our Tuscan black kale (cavolo nero)is a sort of.
Thanks for participating, hope to see you again at WHB!
Cheers, Cinzia.

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Merci

@flavourfulbounty: I am glad you like it!

@Cindystar: I think Tuscan black kale would also be great in this dish. Thanks for hosting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails