Pages

November 16, 2010

Chestnut Soup

The chesnut is probably native in the Caucasus region, in the mountain area between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. The romans did not only use the fruit of the chestnut tree, but also made kitchen utensils out of chestnut wood and they also planted chestnut trees across Europe while on their various campaigns.


I have spent the whole morning peeling cooked chestnuts, because I planned to prepare a soup for lunch. The most important ingredient is patience, but when the chestnuts are peeled the rest is done within a couple of minutes. Of course you can use frozen, canned or dried chestnuts as well, but I would not recommand to do so. I believe that nothing can replace the taste of fresh chestnuts.


Ingredients:
200 g chestnuts, cooked and peeled
100 g pumpkin
1 small onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
600 ml vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 orange
mace
salt, pepper


Precook chestnut and peel. Sautee onion in olive oil, add chesnuts and sliced pumpkin and sautee for a few minutes together with mace. Pour stock over it and cook for 20-25 minutes, after puree. Season with salt, pepper, fresh orange juice and zest. Serve with orange blossom coated chestnuts, fresh sage and cream if desired.

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fabulous flavor combo! I would eating some of that soup now.

Cheers,

Rosa

Marysol said...

Chestnuts and pumpkins. These ingredients don't just whisper, they scream Autumn.
I'm really intrigued about the flavors in this beautiful soup.

Faith said...

My husband loves chesnuts! I know he would go crazy for this soup!

Chef Bee said...

I have never cooked with chesnuts before. Great looking soup. Perfect for a fall meal.

Plan B

Anonymous said...

bei den selbstgekochten ist das Schälen das Mühevollste. Deshalb kauf ich sie immer beim Marronimannli.

Alexandra said...

Hmmm, it sounds really delicious! I should try it.

Cherine said...

A lovely soup. Looks so good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails