Pages

November 11, 2010

Cabbage Soup with Cider

This week I have been busy baking cakes, therefore I hardly had time to cook something new or to experiment. Now, I am finally back to normal so here is a warm cabbage soup with cider. The cabbage was waiting for weeks to be used, meanwhile the outer leaves were already getting yellow, so I had no more time to waste. Well, this soup won't win anything with its colour, but it has a beautiful piquant taste.


Ingredients:
300 g white cabbage
1 medium potato
1 onion
1 tablespoon butter
300 ml cider
300 ml chicken or vegetable stock
50 ml cream
ground caraway
salt, pepper


Melt butter and sautee onion, add sliced cabbage and potato and sautee for a few more minutes. Add salt, pepper and ground caraway, then pour cider and stock on it and cook for 15-20 minutes. Puree, add cream and some more cider just before serving. Serve it with caramelised apples and fried bacon or raw ham.

8 comments:

Faith said...

What an elegant soup! The perfect meal for a chilly day like today!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great soup!

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...

I'm with Faith--how elegant. Never made but sounds like a great addition to a fall diet!

Bren at Flanboyant Eats

chriesi said...

Ťhank you everyone! Fall diet? Well without the cream maybe. :))

Cherine said...

It's the season soup! Yours looks wonderful.

Marysol said...

Oh dear, I never thought cabbage could be dressed up to become the belle of the ball.

That looks amazingly creamy and delicious!

chriesi said...

@Cherine: Thanks so much!

@Marysol: Thank you! Yeah this time cabbage really made it to the beauties! :)

Unknown said...

I've just made this as I'm on a liquid & soft food diet for a while. I didn't saute or add salt nor add any cider after cooking but I did add a tad more cider & water during cooking. I also added some finely chopped home grown basil. It was really tasty, light & fresh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails