Pages

February 25, 2010

Kohlrabi Soup

For almost ten years I haven't had a purple kohlrabi in my kitchen, at least not here in Switzerland. To me kohlrabi is purple, I grew up on them, as they were always part of the Sunday's bouillon during my childhood. In fact the green ones were totally strange to me, though you can buy those all the time. So I was more than happy when I discovered the purple ones some days ago in a shop in Germany. I wouldn't recommend to eat a purple kohlrabi raw, but cooked they are lovely.


I decided to perpare a simple soup. If you ask yourself what's that on the top of the soup, well it is not a scallop, but a slice of kohlrabi with a bit of cheese on top.



Ingredients:
350 g kohlrabi
500 ml vegetable or chicken stock
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon olive oil

salt, cayenne pepper

Peel and cut kohlrabi in thin slices. Chop onion and garlic. Heat olive oil, add onion, garlic and kohlrabi, sautee for about 10 minutes. Pour stock into the pot, add bay leaf and cook for 10-15 minutes. Puree (without the bay leaf), season and if you want it smooth sieve then serve.

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love kohlrabi! Here, I find both colors...

That soup is wonderful!

Cheers,

Rosa

Houdini said...

Now only I realize that we had the same purple ones at home and hardly the greenish white ones, but nowadays I find these only in the shops. Where are the others gone?

kitchen roach/galley roach said...

Ich habe noch nie purple Kohlrabi gesehen oder davon gehoert. Werde mal auf dem Viktualienmarkt in Muenchen beim naechsten Besuch auf Suche gehen.

Unknown said...

Can you tell me how much a gram of Kohlrabi is in cups? I can'r find a decent conversion chart-or just how many kohlrabi's you used in your recipe? I want to make it right away as I inherited some from my sisters garden. Thank you!

chriesi said...

About 2 medium kohlrabi. I hope you'll enjoy the soup. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails