Pages

February 21, 2010

Gyros

Gyros was originally introduced to Greece from Thessaloniki. There are several stories regarding its origin and many variations exist all over the world. I remember when I first read the word gyros, I was about 10 years old, and I was totally confused about it. There is the Hungarian word gyors, that means fast. And I thought it must be a typo, though the rest of the text has never made sense. This word was a mistery to me until I tried my first gyros and all of a sudden it was all clear. Besides it was love at first sight, ehm I mean bite. Unfortunatly, it is so difficult to find a good quality gyros or kebab nearby, so usually I prepare it myself. After the gorgeous Daring Cook's pita recipe I just had to make it again. Usually, I marinate the meat like the Dutch girl does (especially if I use pork), with the change, that I use fresh onion, garlic and herbs instead the powder and dried ones. This time I halved the meat and marinated it two ways in order to test it. As I love to serve it with lamb, now I tried a more simple marinade for it. Only garlic, olive oil, fresh oregano and thyme. I must say it was great that way, because the herbs supported the flavour of the lamb very well. Instead of a traditional tzatziki, I served it with a light yoghurt sauce, just because it is not cucumber season yet. But at least I found beautiful, juicy and amazingly sweet Raf tomatoes, that are in season until May. The salad? Well, that is a small "faux pas", but seasonal chicory and co. would have been too bitter.


Ingredients:
150 ml yoghurt
150 ml kefir
2 tablespoons mixed herbs (mint, chervil, parsley)
1/4 teaspoon dried dill

cayenne or chili (optional)
salt, pepper


Chop fresh herbs and mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Season and serve.

6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm drooling! The kind of dish I could eat on a weekly basis!

Cheers,

Rosa

Raindrop said...

Ne csináld ezt velem! :)
Menten elájulok, olyan gyönyörű!

Alexandra said...

:)
I misread the word too, all the time :)
That gyros must have been delicious.

Cherry Blossom said...

wow - das sieht lecker aus.. tolles Bild

chriesi said...

@Rosa: Oh yeah, me too. :)
@Raindrop: Köszi.
@Alexandra: That's funny!
@Cherry Blossom: Danke!

erős ildikó said...

Nagyon szeretem és nagyon ritkán eszem. Köszi, hogy eszembe juttattad, mindig olyan jó dolgokra lelek Nálad!

Related Posts with Thumbnails