Pages

December 7, 2009

Pommes Frites

Well, I used to say that I am never going to own a deep fryer, but then I changed my mind. Simply, because I discovered those gorgeous looking pommes frites in Anthony Bourdain's book. Though once in a while I made french fries, but I never really bothered about the exact temperature of the oil. I should have! I must confess that these fries are highly addictive and definitely worth the effort!


Ingredients:
4 large potatoes
peanut oil
salt

Peel and cut potatoes in sticks and place in a bowl filled with ice water for at least 30 minutes or over night. After wash it again under running water and dry with a help of a kitchen cloth. Heat the deep fryer to 140°C and fry potatoes in small portions for 6-8 minutes. Let them cool for 15 minutes while heat the deep fryer to 190°C. Now it is time for the second frying for 2-3 minutes. Place a kitchen cloth into a bowl, add fries on it, sprinkle with salt, remove the cloth and shake it for a moment or two. Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Houdini said...

:-) This is definitely not the way McD are doing fries, but quite close to what I remember was how my mom did them, not in an electric fryer but with a wire basket in a deep frying pan on a gas stove, using a mixture of coconut oil and white coconut fat that was wrapped in black paper and looked like gold ingot, not in color but in shape. Those were the old days!
Well, despite you tempting description and photos, I still continue to say that I am never going to own a deep fryer.

Houdini said...

... your tempting ...., of course, sorry

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They are perfect!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

what kind of potato sort did you use ?

chriesi said...

@Houdini: Oh yes, the good old days! My mom fries them simply in a frying pan and those are still my favourite.
@Rosa: Thanks.
@lamiacucina: I used Bintje.

Manggy said...

I would love to own a deep fryer, but I think my main concern has always been that it's so expensive to use all that oil! (Not the health aspect- I love frites! Heh heh)

Related Posts with Thumbnails