Pages

December 16, 2009

Not quite Christmasy...

...but at least as colourful as the Christmas ornaments on the tree. I am talking about Raf tomatoes. Being a tomato freak as you can see that here, here and here or here. Of course I couldn't leave these beauties in the shop. Amazing colours and fantastic taste! Raf tomatoes are an old, traditional type from Spain. Its name: "resistente al fusarium" means resistant against the mold Fusarium. The ripe fruit has different colours from green to red.


Its main season starts end of November and it lasts until May. Most of these little treasures we ate with some goat cheese, but some got pretty over ripe so those ended up in Ramsay's chili con carne. Why? Well, since very long I planed to prepare my own tortillas and I didn't want to shift this for next year. It is not easy to make your own tortilla without a tortilla press. I took my crêpe pan and my heaviest frying pan and flattned the tortillas that way and here is the result!


Ingredients:
(recipe adapted from Apple Pie, Patis & Pâté)
210 g flour (best is masa harina, I used some simple maize meal I had at home)
265 g hot water


Mix the flour with the hot water and knead until smooth and evenly incorporated. Let it stand in a sealed container for 30 minutes. Divide the dough in 15 small balls and bake them flattened. Click here to see how.

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks so scrumptious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Raindrop said...

Mennyire jó képek...
Az ételeidet pedig imádom!

Houdini said...

Thanks for the recipe and the link to the Chili con Carne, the dish til todate made with factory tortillas and different chili recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails