Pages

October 19, 2009

Homemade Curry Powder

Ever since I discovered, that the curry powder I used to buy, contains a thickening agent I decided to prepare my own. Not, that it is such a tragedy, because food thickeners are based on polysaccharides like starches, or proteins. This could be cornstarch, tapioca, potato starch, guar gum, xanthan gum or egg whites, gelatin and so on. However, I think substances like that have nothing to do in a spice mixture. Besides it is so much fun to discover all those spices and to mix them as you desire.


Ingredients:
25 g coriander seeds
15 g cumin
1 tablespoon fennel seeds

1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2 tablespoon tumeric powder

1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 small piece of cinnamon
6 cardamom pods
6 cloves
6 curry leaves

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper


Heat a heavy saucepan and roast seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods while stirring frequently. Let it cool, add the powders and curry leaves and blend all together. Mixture can be kept in a jar for 3-4 months.

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is wonderful!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

back to the roots. Da weiss man, was man hat !

chriesi said...

ganz genau!

Karine said...

I did not know curry contained a thickener. Thanks to let us know :)

chriesi said...

I am sure not every curry powder contains, but the one I used to buy does, so I suggest that you read the ingredients.;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails