Pages

October 11, 2009

The Freezer Project - Part 1

Since the begining of summer my clear plan was to defrost the freezer. Instead I stuffed it with loads of food. Enough! Today, I start my "Empty the Freezer" project, and let's say I give 2 weeks for me to get it done! Luckily, it is not a big one, but still, I managed to stuff it that much, so meanwhile I can hardly open the different drawers. Of course there is the one or the other ingredient I want to keep, like a bag of sour cherries, green beans and Hungarian cottage cheese, but the rest must be eaten. As first I used a pack of frozen puff pastry, left from last months' DB challenge. Yesterday, I found gorgeous fresh porcini, that were absolutly impossible to resist.


Half of them I used for today's lunch: pork tenderloin in puff pastry with
Parma ham, champignons and porcini among some oven baked potato cubes, glazed carrots with a gentle touch of ginger and a savoury Port wine sauce.


Ingredients:
600 ml beef stock
150 ml Port wine
2 shallots

1 bay leaf
1-2 twigs thyme
100 g cold butter
salt, pepper

Cook stock with wine, chopped shallot, bay leaf and thyme. Reduce for 10 minutes. Sieve and cook for another 5 minutes, stir in cold butter chunks. Season with salt and pepper. For the filling dice champignons and porcini, fry in butter with some fresh thyme, season with salt and
pepper. Slice pork tenderloin, smear dijon mustard on it and fry in hot butter oil from both sides among some sage, thyme and rosemary. Roll out puff pastry, add filling and in Parma ham rolled meat, form a package, smear pastry with egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes on 200°C.

2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I also should defrost me freezer, but never get around do doing it... A great way of emptying the freezer! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Shari said...

This looks delicious! I love the mushroom photos!

Related Posts with Thumbnails