Pages

November 19, 2008

Vanilla Experiment

Being a bison fan, I could not resist to buy this beautiful entrecôte.

The only question was: how to prepare? Some days ago by accident I found a dose of vanilla salt in my pantry and it was clear that I am going to give the meat a vanilla touch. I fried it in butter together with a vanilla pod, sprinkeled with vanilla salt and hoped for a decent vanilla taste. Well I was a lot disappointed! No smell or taste of vanilla while eating. Anyone an idea why?

6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Strange... Next time, try using vanilla oil to fry the meat. Anyway, it looks delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Manggy said...

Sorry to hear the bison was, uh, vanilla (or rather, not vanilla). :( I'm thinking the heat totally vaporized the vanilla? Broke it down? Well, it looks beautifully done anyway :)

Melita said...

It sure looks sooo tasty, never mind that the vanilla evaporated! That makes me hungry!
I never heard of vanilla used in savoury dishes, interesting!

Anonymous said...

the boiling point of Vanillin, the aroma-responsible ingredient is at about 170°C, therefore, you evaporated all of it during the frying process. Just add the vanilla-salt over the finished meat. Liebe Grüsse.

Anonymous said...

I scrape the "marrow" off 2 dried vanilla shoots, cut the shoots in half, add the marrow and shoots, together with other spices and salt, to oil and heat it slightly for a while to get the aromas into the oil. However, then I add the shrimps which don't need much heat, and simmer them.
I lack experience with vanilla with steaks. You may try the above, although the scientific reasoning of lamiacucina speaks against it. With shrimps it's great.

Millie said...

Szia!
Látom nagy vanília lázban vagy! Viszont ritkán posztolsz!

Related Posts with Thumbnails